Thursday, September 3, 2015

How Far Can a Paper Airplane Fly?

After seeing the information on the paper airplane drone, I wondered how far are paper airplanes able to fly.  If you base it on my airplanes, I'd say three feet on a good day when the wind is helping it.  Honestly, I have enough trouble just getting my creations to fly straight.  I did a quick search on the internet and came up with these interesting facts.

Papers, Aeroplane, Crafts, Crafty
1.  According to the Guinness Book of Records site, a paper airplane in Japan stayed afloat for 29.2 sec back in 2010.

2.  According to the Paper Airplane Guy site, his plane set a new record of 226 feet, 10 inches in 2012.

3.  According to the Gizmag site, several Air Force volunteers launched a paper airplane from a high altitude balloon at 96,563 ft elevation and it landed 82 miles away after a flight of 2 hours and 7 min.

4. Red Bull even had their own international paper airplane competition with results for longest airtime, longest distance and aerobatics. Wow.

 I thought when I started researching the topic, it would be easy to find an answer.  I guess I was wrong.   I also discovered several sites which offer instructions for building a record breaking paper airplane including the Smithsonian site.  It even has a video to follow for those of us who have trouble following written directions.  I'm off to fold my own record breaking paper airplane even though I doubt it will go as far as the one thrown by a professional football player.

No comments:

Post a Comment