Sunday, September 27, 2015

Lunar Eclipse

Sun, Moon, Eclipse, Space, Planet, NightI heard there was a lunar eclipse tonight between 6 and 9 my time.  I love watching eclipses but unfortunately, the sun has not set yet and there is a bank of clouds covering the sky so I doubt I'll get a chance to see it happen.  

For the past week or so, we've had rain, so when I woke up this morning and there was no rain, I had high hopes for a clear evening.  Just my luck, the clouds rolled in and covered the sky, just in time to block out any possible view of the lunar eclipse.

I actually prefer lunar eclipses to solar ones because there is less possibility of damage to your eyes.  Both types of eclipses can produce a beautiful site.  There are times when I wish I could be somewhere warm, where I could sit in a chair, under a clear sky to watch an eclipse happen.  I think I'll add that to my list of things to do in the future.

I wonder how well one can see eclipses in areas around the equator.  I know you have to be pretty far north to see the aurora on a regular basis but I assume you can see the lunar eclipse as long as you can see the moon.  You know sometimes the moon doesn't set and just circles around the sky for a full 24 hours! 

I have my fingers crossed in the hopes that the clouds will disappear before sunset!  If not, others have captured beautiful pictures we can all enjoy and use to pretend we were there and saw it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment