Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Paper Airplane What?

Paper Plane, Folded, Paper DartLast night I came across a link to an article on paper airplane drones.  Yes, you read that correctly!  Paper airplane drones!  It is a paper airplane with the addition of a motor and a small control unit that can be controlled by a smart phone.

According to FAA rules, drones may not be used commercially anywhere in the United States, unless the operator has applied for an exemption.  It makes sense as the FAA is responsible for the safety of people who fly.

A lawyer filed papers for an exemption to use his paper airplane drone for commercial uses and the FAA granted the exemption.  I find it interesting that the FAA has determined a paper airplane drone had commercial uses.  I don't know about you but most of the paper airplanes I remember making in my youth were never big enough to handle both a motor and a camera without bogging down. 

It is possible that the motor and spine provided by the kit could easily add enough stability and areodynamics so the plane could fly further and stay airborne much better.  I don't think you can use the standard lined paper either because I don't think it will give enough support.  Hmmmmm, that brings up an interesting question, "Just what type of paper can you use to make this type of drone?"  I'm off to do more research on this but you can find information on this drone with ABC News and Popular Science.

No comments:

Post a Comment