Thursday, January 21, 2016

I Didn't Know That.

Sunset, Yellow, Sun, Cloud, Silhouettes  Today, I flew into town on a small 6 person plane.  The plane flew close enough to the ground that it looked like there were tons miniatures scattered across the countryside.  It was breath taking.

At one point, I watched a tiny string of power lines go from what looked like a power plant through the town, stopping just past the last house.  The whole village looked like it could have been found on the table filled with toy soldiers.

The day was so beautifully sunny and clear, you could see for miles.  You could see the blueish pink sky just after sunrise.  I saw every house, ever river, ever lake, every bush.  Then I saw something so cool that I didn't know could ever be seen at this time of year.

In the summer, I have seen the light shine across the land, reflected off the lakes, rivers, and puddles but I've never seen anything as cool in the winter.  Usually our days are short and even at midday, it is not that bright or sunny.  More often than not, its snowy, windy or just overcast. 

Imagine to my surprise when I looked out the window to see the sunlight rolling across the land as if it were a huge body of water on a summer day!  What makes it different is the whole land was covered in snow with enough patches of ice sprinkled across the terrain to reflect the sunlight.

I never knew ice could reflect light in the same way as the lake in the picture above. My words cannot do justice to the overwhelming beauty of the scene. I wish I'd had my camera handy to take pictures but in the small 9 seat plane,  my camera and cellphone were in my backpack that was stored in the back of the plane behind a screen.  There is really no foot room or storage space in the small plane so I couldn't take any pictures but the picture will be imprinted on my mind and will remain with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment