Out here, most people continue playing basketball after they graduate from high school. That is the big thing for people to do other than play bingo.
In fact, when I first heard the term, I thought I'd be seeing men over 65 playing basketball. It turns out, the old men are anyone over 35. Geez, I didn't think 35 was old but I guess it is with basketball.
I had the privilege of watching the old men play and they were funny. They were almost as good as the 3rd and 4th graders but not as cute.
The old men are known for some of the following moves.
1. The ball is passed and hits someone's head, foot, arm, or other body point.
2. The ball rolls across the floor between the arms or legs of people trying to get it.
3. The ball gets ahead of the person dribbling the ball.
4. During the 4th quarter, several of the old men are walking rather than running.
5. The jump shots are made from 1/2 inch off the floor instead of 6 inches.
6. The person who throws the ball in from the side takes a bit longer to get there.
Usually when the ball is tipped, one team sends in their 6"5" guy against the 5"7" opposition and the shorter guy just shrugs, tries to hit the ball but knows he won't get it.
Most quit playing by around 50, maybe 55 and are as fun to watch as the Harlem Globe Trotters or the 3rd/4th/graders.