Saturday, April 30, 2016

Top 10 Fish You Should Avoid Eating.

Trout, Fish, Rainbow Trout, Animal  If you wonder why I"m suddenly into talking about fish and fishing, well its spring and people are outdoors doing more fishing since the lake and the river either have melted or are melting.

Out here they catch pike, black fish, needle fish, and several others including salmon.  I wondered if there are any fish out there that are not considered good to eat.  After all, they say you should eat more fish because of the omega - 3 content! 

So I found a list which included reasons for why you shouldn't eat them.  I don't know,  I would rather eat my veggies and fruit to fish or meat anyway but I am always curious about things.  So this is what I found out.

1.  Orange Roughy which can contain high levels or mercury and is being over fished.

2.  Chilean Sea Bass is also being over fished and can contain high levels of mercury.

3.  Sharks  may contain high levels of mercury.

4. Imported shrimp may contain antibiotics and chemical residue.

5. Swordfish may contain high levels of mercury.

6. Tile fish may contain high levels of mercury.

7.  Blue Fin tuna often has higher levels of mercury and is being over fished.

8. Imported Cat fish may contain antibiotics that are banned in the United States.

9. Farmed Eel could have higher levels of PCBs and mercury.

10. King Mackeral often has higher levels of mercury.

Out of this list, I only recognize a couple. Probably because I don't have a store that carries fish and I don't eat it.  It is good to know which fish may have higher levels of mercury so we can eat healthier.  I'll try to have a list tomorrow on the best fish to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment