Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Pickled Radish Greens

Radish, Vegetables, Vegetable Garden  About three weeks ago, I discovered the Chef at the Market cooking demonstrations designed to show people how to use lesser known vegetables.  At that time, a chef from the Pump house restaurant shared a lovely recipe for Pickled Radish Greens.

This is when I learned that radish greens were edible.  Imagine all those perfectly edible greens I've thrown in the compost pile thinking they were only to provide food for the plant.  I suspect that most people throw out the tops too.

The recipe is quite simple.

Pickled Radish Greens by Chef Marcos Barreto from The Pump House Restaurant in Fairbanks, AK
1 bunch fresh radish greens
1 cup water
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
pinch of dried hot chili peppers to taste
1 to 2 tsp sesame oil.

Mix together the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppers till sugar and salt are dissolved.
Add the radish greens and submerge completely.
Allow to sit for 30 to 45 minutes.
Remove from brine, pat dry and then drizzle with sesame oil.
Serve.

I'm wondering if one could just use this as a general recipe for all types of greens like kale, spinach, swiss chard, beet greens or any other greens.  I plan to try this recipe as soon as I get more radishes.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment