My mother believed that all women should have a little black dress for all occasions. My sister agreed with her. She has always had one in her closet. Me? I'm more likely to wear black jeans with a nice blouse and jacket for an occasion requiring more formal wear but the other day I visited Old Navy.
I actually found one that I liked and bought it. My very first little black dress. Its one of those T-shirt dresses that fits well and folds up into a tiny space when traveling, yet doesn't wrinkle and looks smart. I have a picture of myself and it posted in the right corner. Yes I know, I'm probably later in getting around to this idea but I live in a place where you don't usually wear anything but jeans and boots.
I bought it because I took a trip this summer and decided I needed a dress that would work in a variety of situations. I finally listened to my mother. I never realized a little black dress is like a blank canvas waiting to be fulfilled. I figured out I could do the following to it to create a variety of looks:
1. Add a belt and wear sandals for a nice casual look.
2. Tack some lace around the neck and low pumps for a nice afternoon dress.
3. Pearls with high heels and you are ready for dinner.
4. A metal chain belt with flats for another casual look.
5. Leather belt, medium heels, and clunky jewelry for a work outfit.
6. Bracelets, matching jewelry, and medium heels for another work outfit.
7. A nice necklace on a chain, work jacket, medium heels and you have another work outfit.
8. The dress and sandals for a weekend shopping trip.
A little black dress is full of possibilities and can work for any situation from casual to dressy. I am now a believer. Everyone should have one in their closet. I do, now.