Tuesday, October 11, 2016

5 Ways to Create New Habits

Tea, Tea Cup, Nature, Teapot, Outdoor  We think of habits as bad such as drinking too much or not getting enough exercise but some habit can be good such as regularly exercising, or eating well but sometimes its not the habit but either starting a new habit or changing one that is the problem.

I've recently started microjournaling.  I try to do it ever day but I don't manage.  This is a habit I want.  I stepped back and looked at why I'm not doing it every day and realized I chose a time I am trying to get my evening exercise, fix dinner, and get ready to go back to work.  In other words, its not a great time so I'm going to try to move it to first thing in the morning.

The best ways to build a new habit or change a habit aren't that hard.  They are actually small steps one can easily do.

1.  Set a small goal that is a step towards the overall picture.  For instance, you want to write a book, set a goal of say 500 words per day to make it easier because 500 words is only two pages and that is something anyone can do.  Pretty soon, you have a book of 50,000 words.

2.  Use the if-then method.  Rather than stating a general goal like I will eat better, you might say well rather than buy a hamburger and fries, I'll get a salad with meat.

3. Sometimes its a simple as changing your environment or schedule.  For instance, instead of buying snacks in that handy vending machine, bring some cut up fruit so you have a better choice and are less likely to use the vending machine.

4. Know why you want to make the change.  Were you cholesterol levels a bit higher than they should have been?  Are you getting winded every time you walk from your car to the building?  Its important to know why you want to do this.

5. Its easy to put off fully implementing the habit for a variety of reasons.  The best way around this is to determine where things are breaking down.

I've used several of these myself.  For instance, for my microjournaling, it breaks down to when I try to do it.  I'm going to move it to the mornings on work days beginning today so I do it when I have a bit more time.

I try to exercise every day but I had days it was too hard to work in a regular exercising session so I bought a bunch of 10 minute ones and those are easy to pop in because I can do them while dinner is simmering on the stove.  It was the time issue.  I've tried it first thing in the morning but I hate getting up that much earlier.

I make my lunch and I often make it with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables so I know my lunch is healthy for me.  The thing I need to do is make it right before I go to bed so I have time in the morning for other things.

I hope this helps those of you who want to change habits or create new ones.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment