Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Additional Ways To Prevent Sunburn.

Sunset, Evening, Romantic, Sun

When I was a teenager, I was out enjoying myself on a cloudy day.  The next day, I woke up with  a sunburn. I honestly thought you couldn't get a sunburn if the sun was not out.  What a way to learn I was wrong. 

When the longer days hit, I often have trouble finding my hat I prefer wearing during the summer.  Unfortunately, sunscreens often cause my eyes to sting when I use them on my face so I try to wear a hat.  It is recommended you wear a wide brimmed hat rather than a baseball hat because it provides protection for your ears and neck in addition to your face. 

It is also suggested you wear long sleeved shirts and pants to keep your body from burning.  I have trouble with wearing clothing in the summer after wearing it all winter.  I love feeling the warmth but I do know there is clothing out there that is designed to protect you from the sun while providing the coolness you want. 

One of the most important things to wear in the summer are a good pair of sunglasses.  I know you are saying, you can't get sun burned eyes but that is not quite right. The sunglasses need to provide UV protection because if your eyes are exposed to too much UV, you could end up with cataracts.  I've heard eye doctors commenting that younger and younger people are ending up with cataracts.

Don't think sun glasses, hats, and long sleeves are only for adults.  Children need them more because they experience more exposure to the sun.  Did you know children's eyes are more susceptible to sun damage than an adults because their eyes are clearer? 

Children tend to spend more time outside than most adults which leads to the fact that most adults receive between 20 and 25 percent of their lifetime exposure to sun before the age of 21. This figure seems to be the latest and disagrees with earlier studies which claimed 80 percent.

So if you want the best protection against sunburn remember to wear sunscreen, wide brimmed hats, clothing to cover your body, and sun glasses.  Don't forget to protect your children, no matter how young.  You don't want to end up looking like a wrinkly prune at the age of 30.  Be smart.

Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment