Thursday, September 21, 2017

Making Apple Juice at Home.

Apple Juice, Sweet, Fruit Juice, Healthy  I remember in College, driving a few hours up to Dixon to get fresh squeezed apple cider.  We'd wait in line and buy a few gallons because it had no preservatives and if you weren't careful, you'd end up with something slightly alcoholic.

Other weekends, we'd drive in the other direction to pick up a bushel or two of apples picked from the ground because they were really cheap.  I'd take them home and spend time making apple butter, apple sauce,  dried apples, and of course juice.

I did not own an apple press as I was a starving college student living in college housing but I owned a pan and cheese cloth so I could make juice.  I admit, the process took over the whole kitchen which wasn't very large so much of this was done on the kitchen table.

General recipe 1:
 Quarter the apples after removing blemishes and soft spots.  Remove the seeds before placing them in a large pan.  Add enough water to almost cover the apples, simmer till nice and soft.  Line a colander with cheese cloth.  Scoop apples and liquid into the colander and let drain.  When done, press with a spoon so get any extra liquid out.  Heat the juice, add any sweetener or spices to it before pouring in hot sterilized bottles while leaving 1/4 inch space.  Process in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes.

General recipe 2:
Cut the apples into quarters. Remove the seeds, central core, and any soft spots.  Chop the apples into small pieces and place in a blender.  Blend until it resembles a sauce.  Place in a cloth lined strainer and strain until the juice has finished draining.

If you wonder what to do with the left over pulp?  That is easy.  I've used it to make a apple spice cake or apple spice quick bread because I hate to waste anything.  I've also used the pulp mixed in with oatmeal to make one that was more like apple spice.

If you have a different way to make apple juice, let me know.  I'd love to hear from you.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment