Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Getting Ready For Work.

School Supplies, School, Color, CupAfter a summer of travel, I've got two days to get everything purchased and packed before I head back to work.  I live out in the village where I teach so I cannot travel home.

This year I did something different.  I went over and bought some strips of colored hair I can clip in my hair so I don't have to color the hair but those strips are in purple, blue, and pink.  I've decided I can be slightly wild and crazy at work.

I usually stock up on specialty items such as eye drops, floss, shampoo and conditioner, and other personal items because you can't always get those out in the village.  Most villages have at least one small convince type store filled with everything from food to hardware, to clothing.  Unfortunately, many of the items carried tend to be rather expensive.

Anything frozen is extremely expensive because it has to be airfreighted out and that costs money.  Even fresh fruits and vegetables have to be shipped via plane so again the cost can be higher than in the city.  I get used to paying about $1.00 per banana or $4.00 per pound for carrots which are never that high in the city.

Even if the stores carry an item, they may not have the color or the brand you want.  I've seen hair dye out in the small stores but they only carry one or two colors but not in the color the kids want. I always bring my shampoo and conditioner with me because they never have the one I use.

It's a challenge living somewhere with very limited choices.  I can overcome many of them by ordering from stores such as Wad-Mart or Target or even getting it on-line.  The other issue I have right now is managing to get all the things I want including fresh fruit and vegetables to bring with me when I fly out.

One of the smaller airlines just put a limitation of one suitcase per person before you have to pay extra and that one suitcase cannot go over 50 pounds.  I am hoping I'll be able to send my two suitcases out without the charge because I'm starting on another airline that is one of their partners.

I arrive Friday to my new job and new living situation.  I'm hoping I find my bedding the first night so I don't have to sleep with my coat.  My stuff has already been shipped out there but it is just going to be a pile I have to sort through.  I don't even know if I have my own apartment or if I'm sharing.  Usually people get around to telling you but sometimes they don't so you just find out when you get there.

Tomorrow I'll be back to regular topics but I spend most of yesterday sleeping and catching up on sleep after working hard over the weekend in California.  Sorry I missed yesterday but as I said, I slept most of the day away.

Have a great day.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment