Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Planning for Christmas Holidays

Godafoss, Iceland, Waterfall, Falls I will spend this week buying my tickets, securing a place to stay, and setting up tours for my visit to Iceland in December between Christmas and the new year.  About two years ago, I visited Reykjavik in August when it was still summer.  I took a tour around the southern part of the country but I want to go back to experience what it offers in the winter.

I realize its going to be cold but I live in Alaska so I doubt its going to go below 40 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.  I also have my own winter gear so it won't cost anything to take it with me.

One of the main reasons I want to go back is to enjoy the northern lights.  I've seen them here in Alaska but I want to check them out in another country.  There is a tour to take you out side of town far enough to increase your chances of seeing the northern lights. Many of these guides know where the best places are and even provide photography tips for getting the best pictures of the aurora.

 I also plan to take a tour checking out the food because this time I'm staying downtown in a place that offers a free breakfast, shared kitchen and clothes washing facilities.  The cool thing about food tours is they give you a chance to check out various eating establishments so you know which ones you want to return to and you get a wonderful view of downtown.

I can also sign up for a quick tour of the city itself so I get a quick history lesson of the various buildings from churches to the theaters to the government.  These types of tours give you so much history while checking out buildings so you know which ones you might want to return to.  In addition, if you select the correct tour, admission is already included in the price so you don't have to worry about having enough money for it because you've paid for it in advance.

I might even sign up for a tour of the one of the hot springs Iceland is famous for. I love lounging in  a nice hot springs so you stay warm, in the winter..  We have a hot springs in Alaska where it is so cool to swim in the geothermal waters while watching the aurora and I bet this is a wonderful an experience.

I will be there 6 nights so I figure I'll mange three tours for the whole stay.  That is like one every other day or three in a row.  I know it will not give me as much time to enjoy just wandering but it will allow me to see more of the country than I might otherwise see.

I'm starting now, because Iceland is quite popular most of the year and quite a few hotels and hostels are already sold out.  I'm happy I was able to find a reasonably priced guesthouse for my stay.  Since it includes breakfast, it means I don't have to worry about finding anywhere to eat. It advertises access to a shared kitchen so I can buy ingredients to make meals anytime I want.

So I'll have all my tickets by Friday and everything set up by the time Thanksgiving arrives.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment