Wednesday, October 9, 2019

It Made The Headlines.

Newspaper, Paper, Print, Press, NewsMy father loves reading his local newspaper because it is filled with lots of errors.  He majored in English and grew up in a family that spoke very good English so he catches many things that other miss.  My niece is a translator and she loves surfing the web for language errors.  I'm not quite as good as those two but I know I have found some that are quite funny.

I realize headlines need to be short but some of these are too short. Some of the headlines I've found that could use editing include:

1.  "Bugs Flying Around With Wings are Flying Bugs" headed an article on bugs that look like ants with wings.

2. "State Prison to replace easy open locks" is another good one.  I suspect the state prison is getting locks that are easier for the guards to open, not for the prisoners to escape.

3. "Federal agents raid gun shop: Find weapons".  This is one of those "Duh" headlines because one usually finds guns in a gun shop.  I think they meant illegal weapons were found.

4. "Most Earthquake damage is caused by shaking."  Yeah,  this one is so obvious and quite true considering the number of earthquakes I've been in.

5.  "Missippi's literacy program shows improvement." according to the headline but someone obviously couldn't spell their states name.

6. "Statistics show that teenage pregnancies drop after the age of 25."  I have no idea who came up with this one up but I thought anyone over the age of 20 was no longer a teenager.

7.  "City unsure why the sewer smells." This is the headline on an article on the city being unable to determine why a smell invaded several downtown businesses.

8.  "Mayor Parris to the Homeless: Go home!" heads an article on the mayor wanting to increase the funding for bus fare to send people out of town.

9.  "Puerto Rican teen named mistress of the Universe." is an actual headline.  I think they meant she was Miss Universe rather than a mistress.

10."Amphibious pitcher makes debut".  They meant Ambidextrous as the pitcher could use both hands.

11. "Cows lose their jobs as milk prices drop."  refers to the price of milk dropping so farmers don't make as much.

12.  "State population to double by 2040: Babies to blame". Hmmmm, blaming the babies for a population increase.

13. "Breathing oxygen linked to staying alive."  I guess they aren't teaching this in science.

14. "Police arrest everyone on February 22nd."  Wow, I didn't know they did this kind of thing.

15. "Muddy Creek problem - It's too muddy."  I thought that was how the creek got it's name.

I chose just a few to share with you out of the many I found.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment