Friday, October 15, 2021

Skin Care While Traveling By Air.

 

I realized the topics associated with traveling might be better done at the beginning of summer but I am traveling so much recently that I have to be aware of this topic.  I usually end up on trips where I'm in the air between 6 and 12 hours depending on where I'm going and I can tell you from personal experience that its easy for my skin to mess up if I don't take extra special care during the trip.

In addition, I have to wear a mask from when I hit the airport until I get checked into my hotel depending on the place.  The mask can play havoc with my face because the air on the plane if recirculated and can be very drying which can cause immflamuation. In addition, if you sit by a window, you are exposing yourself to increased amounts of ultra violet radiation.  

Furthermore, humidity levels in planes tend to be lower than what most people are used to. This can cause our skins to either end up feeling dryer or oily.  If it feels oily, its because the skin began producing oil to counter the dryness. When the air pressure is lower than what you're used to and being at a higher elevation, you end up with less oxygen in your blood means your skin looks dull. Unfortunately, you might also suffer from water retention due to being stationary for long periods of time and you might end up with a puffy face.

So the first thing to do is to make sure you drink lots of liquid before you get on the plane since the more hydrated you are, the more hydrated your skin is. In addition, take a nice shower and go through your whole skin routine before heading to the airport, including using serums, moisturizers, and sun screen before you head off.  Make sure you use one of those heavy duty masks on your face the night before to add extra moisture. 

When you are on the plane, make sure you drink plenty of liquids but try to avoid caffeine because it is a diaretic and can dehydrate you.  If you can, get up and walk up or down the aisle to keep from retaining water and cutting down on the amount of puffiness you experience.  You might want to keep some hydrating spray with you so you can spritz your face at points throughout the flight.

After you arrive at your destination, wash your face and reapply your serums and moisturizers to help hydrate your skin. Don't forget the cold compresses on your puffy eyes. Continue using your normal products since it is strongly recommended that you do not try any new facial products when you head out on a trip since your skin might react differently than it does at home.  Think about investing in travel sized items so you don't have to carry the big sized ones. 

If you have to pack lightly, cut back on your facial products to bare minimum but make sure you include sunscreen. moisturizer, facial cleanser, and any medications you need for your skin so you don't have any flareups. If you can't find your favorites in a travel size, look for travel sized containers you can transfer your facial products into. I always bring my own facial cleaner because the facial soaps provided by the hotel tend to be drying.  

So think about what you need when you head off on your next trip which will be thanksgiving or Christmas for many of you. I've learned how to cut back on my hair and facial products so I can head overseas with minimum weight.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment