Friday, May 6, 2022

Eggs For Your Hair

I remember when I was in my teens, my grandmother was always telling me to mix an egg with a bit of water and use it on my hair after I'd shampooed it.  She said it would make my hair shine.  She forgot to tell me that I shouldn't rinse my hair with hot water or as I found out, it cooked the eggs into my hair.  Trying to pick cooked egg out of your scalp is difficult and a pain to do.  I can tell you, I never, ever used an egg on my hair again.  I did try a shampoo which listed eggs as one of the ingredients but I refused to use eggs.
It is best to use the whole egg because it is  filled with nutrients such as biotin, folate, vitamin A and D and proteins. These nutrients are the same ones associated with glossy hair.  These vitamins may help protect your hair while helping to moisturize it. In addition, the nutrients are said to help your hair grow and stay healthy.  When you apply egg yolk to the roots, they infuse the roots with nutrients which can help the roots grow out stronger and your hair will be less prone to breakage.
 
One of the best ways to use eggs is by creating a mask with it. The mask can help counter any damage experienced via tools, environment or the sun. There are two ways to use the egg as a mask. One is to whip two whole eggs until they are frothy. Apply this to your scalp and the ends of your hair before covering with a shower cap or plastic bag.  Leave it 20 minutes and rinse with cool water or wash and condition normally.  The other way is to mix one to two eggs with one tablespoon of olive oil till well mixed before applying to the hair from roots to ends. Let it set 20 minutes and either rinse or shampoo and condition as normal. If you want to help your damaged hair, it is suggested you add a teaspoon of honey to the egg and olive mask since the addition of honey will help lock in moisture. 

Now there are some who claim that eggs really do not do much for your hair. According to this group, the proteins in eggs are too large to penetrate each strand.  The only protein that is small enough to penetrate the individual strands are silk proteins.  In order for the protein from eggs to penetrate the hair, it has to be hydrolyzed or broken down. 

It can also be incorporated into your diet because when you eat a healthy diet, you are likely to have healthier hair.  One of the most common deficiencies in people is the lack of iron and iron is important for the growth of new cells.  Fortunately,  the egg yolk contains a small significant amount of it. 

Sometime in the near future, I'll explore the use of mayonnaise for improving the health of your hair since mayonnaise contains eggs. Let me. know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment