Friday, December 11, 2015

Crispy, Crunchy, and Glittery

Winter, Snow, Nature
  This morning was beautiful.  I came out of the house and out in front of my porch lay the freshly fallen snow.  The light from the porch picked up the glittery snow spread across the ground. 

When I first moved to a snowy climate, I'd wonder why people dropped diamonds in the snow but no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find them. Some kids say that the sparkles are stars that fell into the snow and still shine.  I like that description.

This morning,  I headed off to work.  I got to walk across the snow and my foot prints were the first ones there.  As I walked, the snow crunched much like Rice Crispies sound when you pour milk on them.  Did you know you can tell how cold it is by the pitch of the snow as you walk on it? The higher the pitch, the colder the temperature. 

I love being the first one to walk on the snow.  You know the snow is fluffy and light.  Unfortunately, the sparkles disappear when the sun comes up.  Unfortunately, the photos I take never show the true beauty of the picture. 

Did you know that the type of snow depends on the temperature?  You don't usually get the glittery snow when its really, really cold.  You also don't get it when its just around freezing, its got to be far enough freezing to get the medium sized flakes and it can't be too humid or the flakes are heavy and wet.  This snow when it ends up on my porch can easily be swept off onto the road in front of my house.  That is the best type of snow to have to move. 

<smiles>  Hope you all have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment