Monday, May 2, 2016

Days Are Getting Warmer Reminding Me of Popsicles.

Popsicle, Brown, Stick, ChocolateYesterday was such a beautiful Sunday.  It was warm and sunny with a nice breeze blowing.  So many people were out.  Here, everyone heads out to the runway for a Sunday afternoon stroll or drive.  I walked across the tundra to the old airport, down the old airport to the end and down and around by the school to home.

Along the way, I saw kids looking for old bird nests, bugs, and other things.  They had fun riding bikes along the flat gravel area.  I got to remembering my own childhood when mom would occasionally buy Popsicles as a treat.  I loved the cherry ones but they were so sticky and today I know they weren't healthy but as a child you don't care.  You just enjoy the flavor and try to get it all eaten before it drips all over you, leaving you sticky.

Melting, Popsicle, Sun, Heat, Ice CreamIt won't be long before I'll want them here.  I admit, I invested in a set of Popsicle molds because it does get warm enough to enjoy them.  I also invested in a couple of books filled with healthy recipes rather than using frozen drink mixes.   

Last year, I invested in one of those blender thingies that turns fruit and veggies into a drink.  I don't like the way it does vegetables but I do like the way it does fruit.  So I'm going to try to use fresh and frozen drinks to make a smoothie to fill the molds with and then freeze.  These won't have the amount of sugar commercial preparations have.

As a base I use either 100% fruit juice or a nondairy milk such as almond milk.  Then I throw in what ever fruit I have such as apples, bananas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, mangoes, melon or what ever is in the house.  I've seen pictures with fruit sliced in or added to the mix to make it even better.

I love adding a bit of ginger into the mixture to add a bit of a bite but not enough to overwhelm the flavor.  Ginger seems to go with almost any fruit.  I was reading up on making these summer treats.  Some recipes recommend adding Greek Yogurt, coconut milk,  chocolate, and other goodies to add a depth to the Popsicles. 

If you do a quick search you'll find all sorts of recipes but I'm one of those folks who use a recipe as a set of guidelines that I adjust according to what I have in the house.  I love experimenting and finding the flavors that work for me.  Tonight, I'll go find the molds and I know I've got a mango or two to add to other things for the first batch of the season.  


No comments:

Post a Comment