Yesterday, I looked at the history of egg nog. Today I'm going to look at some interesting facts about egg nog. You got one yesterday when I shared the riot at West Point in 1826 but there are more.
Another fact shared yesterday concerned George Washington's personal recipe for eggnog.Egg
1. Over 135 million pounds of eggnog are consumed every year.
2. National Eggnog day is celebrated on December 24th, also knwon as Christmas Eve.
3. Colonials used rum in their eggnog because it was less heavily taxed than other alcohols.
4. In the 1800's, eggnog was often prescribed as a medical treatment for things such as malaria fever.
5. Now other things such as lip balm, gum drops, etc are eggnog flavored.
6. Eggnog is usually only sold from mid-November to January in the stores.
7. Eggnog is high in calories, fat, and cholesterol.
8. When eggnog is made into a custard, it can be turned into ice cream.
9. Its referred to as Hell's Angel in a book from 1932.
10. A hot version of it is said to cure sore throats.
11. The eggnog latte was created back in 1986 by the man who bought Starbucks in 1987.
So there you have it. Eleven interesting facts about eggnog. Let me know what you think.