Thursday, February 23, 2017

Shortbread Cookies.

 I adore shortbread cookies with hot fresh unsweetened tea.  I am particular about the type of shortbread eat.  Yes, I do make shortbread at home because the brand I love is extremely expensive by the time it gets shipped up to Alaska.  I've seen a good $3.00 difference between its price on the east coast and the price in Alaska.

So I've been known to make my own.  I use salted butter, never the unsalted.  You can pretty much find recipes anywhere on the internet and so many use granulated sugar.  I will not use that type of sugar because it does not give the final product that flaky, yummy flavor.  It can leave the final product rather grainy.

Instead, use powdered sugar because that will give you the flaky texture you are looking for.  Furthermore, do not use anything other than butter, flour, and sugar unless you want to make pecan shortbread.  

Recipe
2 cups flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar.
1 cup salted butter.
1 tsp vanilla 

Danish Butter Cookies, Cookies, Butter



mix the flour and sugar together.  Slice the butter into small chunks and cut into the flour mixture.  Add the vanilla last.  If the dough needs a bit of moisture, add 1 tsp water, otherwise wrap the dough in plastic and stick in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

If you want nice round disks, roll into a round log before wrapping in plastic so when its cold you can slice 1/3 inch disks, place on the cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes at 350 degrees.

If you prefer nice rectangular strips, roll out the dough so its about a 1/2 inch thick, chill and then cut into smaller rectangular cookies.  Bake at 350 for 12 to 14 minutes or till lightly browned.

If you want a slight variation, you could make these with 2 tablespoons of chai to add a spicy taste. Or you could add 1/2 cup toasted and finely chopped pecans to the dough to give a nutty flavor.

Have fun and let me know what you do to make your favorite shortbread.  I've shared what I like to do.  Now its your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment