Friday, February 10, 2017

That Time of Year Again

Thermometer, Temperature, Fever, Flu  It is that time of year again.  At work half of the people are hacking, coughing, snorting, wheezing, or displaying other symptoms of having a cold.  About half of the remainder are fighting some sort of stomach flu and are often seen running down the hall.

I know, I know, you've seen it at your own place of work.  You probably wonder why people would come to work sick.  Why don't they stay home, rest, and get over it enough.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me, its a matter of trying to make sure I leave enough work for my students so the sub they bring in can actually follow directions and teach them.  I teach math in a place where the quality of sub boils down to they are breathing.

I remember watching a Myth Busters on spreading germs.  They used a dye to show how germs spread while inviting some unsuspecting people to see which ones had habits designed to keep them from being exposed.  I think only one person passed.  It was fascinating.   I'd love to show it to some of my students who do not even cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

There are ways to stay healthy even when everyone around you is sick, trying to share their current bug with you and everyone else.  The CDC has suggestions for everyone to follow so they stay healthier.  Check them out!

1. Keep your distance from those who are sick.  Distance is your friend because it decreases your chances of being exposed.

2.  Stay home so you do not expose other people but as many of us know, its hard staying home due to commitments we've made or sometimes we have family that will not let us be sick at home.

3. Cover your mouth and nose to keep the germs from spraying out into the air.  It helps cut down on the spread of the bugs.

4. Wash your hands regularly, to help rid the surface of germs.  The fewer germs you are exposed to, the less chance you have of catching the flu.

5. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth otherwise, you might be exposing yourself to germs that you might avoid otherwise.

6. Clean and disinfect surfaces, especially when sick.  Get lots of sleep, stay hydrated, and eat well.

Let me know what you think.  I'd love to hear about your favorite suggestions to stay well.


No comments:

Post a Comment