Ok. Its been one of those weeks at work where a good third of the folks are either off on business trips or are sick with a flu bug that struck hard. Another third are at work fighting the bug with Asprin, Cold meds, and lots and lots of liquids. I'm in the third of taking meds so I can stay at work.
Even finding temps for the day to help out is bad because the bug is hitting them as much as it is everyone at work. I am glad tomorrow is Saturday so I can go home tonight and sleep late.
I had heard that if you ate right, exercised regularly, and took good care of yourself, you would be sick less often. I wondered about that so I checked out ways to keep you from getting sick and you'd be surprised what is on the list.
1. Taking the Flu shot is recommended. I"ll be honest, the only two times I've gotten the flu shot as an adult, I promptly got a nasty case of the flu so I do not take it.
2. Wash your hands regularly - Either wash regularly with soap and water to get the germs off your hands or use a hand sanitizer to kill germs.
3. Clean your desk or workstation with antibacterial wipes - I read that if someone comes in with the flu or a cold, the germs spread through the workplace within 4 hours. So use the wipes to keep your area clean of germs.
4. Use a humidifier or saline nasal spray - In winter, your nasal cavities dry out and cannot do a good job of protecting you from germs. So its recommended to add moisture through a humidifier or nasal spray to keep the lining of your nose moist. If you don't have a humidifier handy drink hot tea with lemon and honey - the steam helps the nose do its
job, the lemon thins the mucus and the honey is anti-bacterial.
5. Exercise - Just plain old exercise can help your boost your immunity. The exercise causes the white blood cells to move around so their protection covers your whole body better and are able to attack infection. I didn't realize this but have made the choice to try to exercise even when I'm sick. Instead of aerobics, I might switch to a very low impact choice.
6. Get lots of sleep. - It helps you overcome the bug faster even if you get it.
7. Avoid shaking hands or clean them immediately after wards. - shaking hands is the best way flu germs.
8. Do not touch your eyes or nose and do not put your fingers in your mouth. - Our hands are always picking up germs so we don't want to spread them to ourselves or others.
9. Do not drink alcohol.
10. Do not smoke.
It turns out I am already doing much of this including drinking hot tea with lemon. It may be why I don't get the flu badly. I hope everyone here is not fighting the flu. Have a good day.