Friday, January 5, 2018

Pikes Place Market

 The other day, I drove down to Seattle to visit relatives and to check out a large Korean market in Linwood.  While visiting relatives, we popped down to Pikes Place Market a place with multiple levels and small shops crammed in here and there.  Just off from the market is a huge Ferris wheel with LED lights attached to it, so even on a overcast rainy day, it was easy to see the ride.  It wasn't open yet when I was there but even if it had been, I would not have ridden it due to a fear of heights.



Pikes Place market is near the water.  You can see it but its a bit of a walk.  The market itself reminds me of those Souks described in books.  The market places filled with little shops.  I found used bookstores, record shops, shops with jade, candy, hand made items and a magic shop. 

The magic shop had some great posters outside of it.  Posters that looked as if they came from another time when they traveled with carnivals.


On the bottom level, I stumbled across the Japanese Commissary  with some foods but they had Japanese Kimonos that had been repaired so you could buy one and own it.  They also had hot pots, etc.

On the floor above the Japanese Commissary I found the Our Fabric Stash, a consignment shop for fabrics etc.  I managed to get out without buying anything but it was close.
This wonderful stained glass type sign hung over the walkway, near a shop with great t-shirts.  I loved them but I don't need any more to add to my already extensive collection.

Over near the magic shop, I found a shop with information on the tallest man in the world who has since passed on.  Into the wall, the shop had incorporated several viewing windows filled with giant shoes. 

You know the ones you put a quarter in and the lights come on so you can see the items.  It had a feel of something you'd see in the past when people's curiosity made them pay the money.
Final picture is of a sign propped in the window of a barbershop.  If you can't quite read it, it says "Customers wanted, no experience necessary, apply within."

I read it and broke out in laughter because I've never seen anything like this before.  It wasn't busy at that moment but I'm sure it does brisk business.

In  case you are wondering, I did buy one thing while at the market.  I purchased a bottle of Pomegranate Molasses, something I find it hard to find where I live.

I didn't get to see the whole market place.  That will require a couple of days because its more of an area than a simple building.  It is a huge tourist place down near the waterfront.  I will be going back.  Let me know what you think.  I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment