I am getting ready to step on a plane later this morning. As usual, I went over my list of things I needed to make sure were packed, including my lunch as I have a long layover and I wondered what foods are considered the weirdest.
I realize that much of it depends on the perspective of who made the list because of what is their normal. For me, I do have a couple things like asparagus ice cream or raw liver but I did a search and here is the list as follows.
Warning: The list might make you shiver so proceed with care.
1. Fugu from Japan. Its the fish that if not prepared correctly can kill the eater. I'm told that when prepared correctly, it gives a tingly feeling to ones mouth.
2. Fried spiders from Cambodia. Ok that does sound a bit weird. The spiders used are usually from the Tarantula family and are fried in garlic oil till crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
3. Prairie Oysters are the Canadian version of Rocky Mountain Oysters and can be purchased at a restaurant in Calgary during the summer months.
4. Balut from the Philippines. These are duck eggs that have begun developing and are then cooked and eaten.
5. Haggis from Scotland which is made of a variety of hearts, lungs, etc, spices and oatmeal simmered in a sheep's stomach. Since I am of Scottish decent it doesn't sound weird at all. Its often eaten on Robert Burns birthday.
6. Sannakji from Korea. It is a live octopus that is eaten with a bit of sesame oil on it. It is still squirming when served.
7. Escamole from Mexico. This is a wonderful dish made of ant larvae. Its also known as insect caviar.
8. Hakarl from Iceland is a decayed and fermented shark. This shark must be prepared this way because it is poisonous in its fresh form. Apparently, the smell is not appealing and its recommended that this meal be eaten with lots of alcohol.
9. Fried pig brains sandwiches from Ohio Valley. It can still be found on the menu at many restaurants.
10. Cazu Marzu from Italy is a wonderful sheeps milk cheese with live maggots.
I don't know about you but I am not interested in trying them. Have a good day.