Monday, February 1, 2016

The Knitting Book

Bears, Art Stone, Cute, Knitting Sweater
I knit or at least I try to find a few minutes here and there to knit.  I do not knit anything big, I usually do either socks, mittens, and once in a while, I knit hats with ear flaps.  I am not a speedy knitter.  It usually takes a couple months to finish one pair of socks just because I tend to get distracted.

Every so often, I swing through Amazon, looking for knitting books I don't have, but might want to keep around for when I have time to knit. In other words, for when I retire......LOL.  I suspect I'll still be a slow knitter. I could speed up if I made time everyday to knit 10 or 15 minutes.

I've found books on knitted bears and clothing, weekend projects, sweaters, socks, scarves, lace, and even men's sweaters.  So many cool things to make once I have or make the time to knit.  I've thought about getting books on knitting for service men in World War I (written by the Red Cross) or books on cuffs, etc from the 1800's.  Just general interest books.

The other day when I was surfing the site and I found THE book on knitting.  The one that made me laugh and love the title.  No, I didn't buy it, nor did I read it.  I just enjoyed the title, "How to Knit a Husband in Five Easy Steps."  Its actually a short story by Lattice Stockinette.

Can you imagine being able to knit a husband just like you could knit a stuffed teddy bear.  You could choose the hair color, the eye color, decide how tall he'd be, even how well built!  I'm not sure how you'd incorporate the personality so he'd help in the kitchen, choose to watch your favorite show, or even have him run with you in the marathon.

You could even knit your offspring so they'd be good scholars, stay out of trouble, be respectful, and do everything you want them to do.  You could even knit the perfect friends!

Just think how boring that would get if everyone was designed to be perfect.  There would be no excitement, no making up after those fights, no sitting snuggled up to him to watch the game he wants to see before he sits with you through the film you've wanted to watch forever.

I don't know how you'd knit the thoughtfulness, the love, the teasing, the joy into the finished product.  It would eliminate the exploration we all go through as we get to know our spouses, our friends, our children.  It would eliminate all that is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment