Monday, March 25, 2019

It Didn't Work Out As Planned!

Writing, Pen, Man, Ink, Paper, PencilsBack in January, I turned in my notice that after this school year, I wouldn't be working here.   I'm burned out, tired of the lack of communication, the lack of student motivation, and so many other things.  I had my future laid out in front of me, sort of.

I began exploring the possibility of teaching overseas.  I've been looking at starting my own business to share my knowledge with others, or become an educational consultant but it doesn't look as if that will be happening.

One of my coworkers urged me to apply for a job at the school where he and his wife are from.  It's in a nice part of the state with lots of trees and water.  In winter, it doesn't get that cold, and they don't get tons of snow.  Sounds nice.  Then I noticed a position open in a school district that would allow me to start working the end of August and begin my summer, earlier in May.

Another coworker got a job with a district and suggested I apply for a job there.  I figured why not but it won't allow me to go to Europe to attend an international conference.  I have an interview this afternoon and I think I have a fairly good chance of getting it because less than five minutes after reading my cover letter and resume, he sent a date and time for an interview.

I think I'm burned out teaching in this place because the number of alcoholic parents have increased along with the amount of pot.  I know that three generations in one household all smoke pot.  Its sad because we are starting to see birth defects associated with too much pot smoking. Unfortunately, many students lack motivation to do their best so they either don't try or they think a "D" is good enough.

I decided to try working elsewhere to see if I'm truly burned out or if its just this location.  I hate to give up because I have so much knowledge and so many ideas that I don't want to quit just yet but it is time for me to move on.  If I don't, I'll hate myself and I'll hate the job.

Unfortunately, about 3/4th of the staff is leaving. That is an extremely high number because in the time I've been here, no more than about 1/3rd move on at the heaviest year but this is odd.  It is an indication of how the year is going itself.  Yes there are teachers who have been here for more than five years who have chosen to move on.

To me that says something is wrong with the system here if so many people choose to leave. Almost everyone who is leaving, already has a job and only a few do not yet but they aren't worried because there is a shortage of teachers up here.  Its a sad commentary of this school district.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment