Thursday, July 23, 2015

Scored!

Apple, Fruit, Red, Vitamins, FruitsI don't know if you are aware but I live in the middle of the boondocks of Alaska.  That means the closest real store is 2.5 hours away by air.  I got into the habit of liking fruit smoothies but made with either almond milk or fruit juice.  I hate the recipes that call for water as it adds no flavor.  The only fruit I get out there on a semi-regular basis are apples, oranges, and bananas assuming that none get frozen when the boxes are on the airstrip at 40 below.

Apple, Mandarin, Fruit, Fruits, HealthySo I've been thinking of how I can get a better variety of fruits and such out to my place so I can still enjoy these drinks.  One way is to use those little cups you buy to put in a kits lunch.  Those you can get with all sorts of fruits in a bit of juice and they are relatively light or at least much lighter than the tins of fruit that serve 2 to 4 people.

Now I have to figure out what to do about greens.  Frozen veggies are not something you easily find out there and when you do, it might be corn on the cob or those veggies with sauces already on them.  Neither is really good for a nutritional drink.  So my only choice is to go with canned veggies or order some in from the closest city and hope they get to me in relatively good shape.

Green Beans, Canning, Canned, Food   I've been checking places on line and did you know you can get containers of greens in the health food section????  I didn't.  They are dried and can easily be added to my drinks to increase nutrition.

But the best thing over all is that a place in Washington state that has a branch in Alaska will send me fresh fruits and veggies either weekly or bi-weekly and they have 5 sizes I can choose from.  I usually choose the largest box and order it every two weeks because it knocks the weekly cost to less than the box for a single person.

In addition, I love veggies and a vegetarian who is trying to cut back on dairy but I don't think I"ll manage that fully.  Yeah, I have my fruits, veggies and blended drinks taken care of for the next year.  I am soooo happy about that.  I scored!

No comments:

Post a Comment