Tuesday, November 24, 2015

So True

Concentration, Curiosity, Curious  I was watching something on television the other night and the episode ended with a quote that seems so true.  The quote "In youth we learn,  in old age, we understand." by  Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach.

Its along the lines of what my father has always said.  He states that when we are young, we know it all, as we age we realize that we don't know.

Grandma, Sony, Dslr, Camera, 70, ElderlyIts an interesting thought especially if you add in one last quote I discovered.  "Its not how old you are but how you are old." by Marie Dressler.  In this day and age, you can't always judge the age of anyone because people continue doing things as they age.  In fact as people live longer lives, they are taking up activities or continuing activities long past retirement age.

When I graduated from high school, the newspaper from the closest city published the names of people who were over 65 and were graduating from the local college.  They published a biography of each person and what lead to the day they received their diplomas.  The biography shared if one of the wars interfered, did the woman get married, did the man have to provide support for a family?

At 17,  I wonder why someone at 77 would even want to get a degree.  They were dinosaurs in my opinion.  My dad would quote the old " Bachelors at 22, Master by 25, Phd by 30" because that is what he grew up with.  He got his BA in English when he was in his 40's.  It took him so long because he took time out for a military career and raising a family.

I went back to school to get my Masters well past the age of 25 because I had other things going on in my life.   Am I finished taking classes?  Nope but now I'm taking classes I want to.  The last two classes I took this semester were short workshops on paper circuitry.  Next semester, I'll probably take a science class because I want to.

What does this have to do with understanding?  I've come to understand that I have to keep learning if I want to live a long full life.  I have to keep my brain active and I must remain physically active so I'll be like that 92 year old lady who still runs several miles ever day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment