Friday, January 15, 2016

The 11 Worst Snacks To Eat.

Biscuit, Nutrition, Food, Eat, BakeryI love to snack.  I snack when I'm bored, when I'm tired, when I'm hungry, just whenever.  I try to be good and eat things like apples, carrots, or nuts but I don't always have those around or they just don't appeal to me.

I am like most other people in that I have a weakness for salty treats.  I really try to resist but those salty treats call my name and haunt me until I indulge.  I decided it was time to find out what the world considers the worst snacks to eat, so they are:

1. Potato chips are high in salt, low in nutrition, and fairly high in fat.

2. Crackers are high in salt and low in fiber.  Many people expect crackers to provide a boost but that is a misconception.

3. Granola or a cereal bars for the most part are be full of empty calories with lots of sugars, honeys and fat. 

4. Pretzels have little or no nutrition and can raise the blood sugar more than chips.

5. 100 calorie snack packs are not satisfying, do not control blood sugar levels and are seldom nutritious.

6. Rice Cakes are often made out of white rice and are considered as nutritious and tasty as Styrofoam packing peanuts. The flavored varieties are often loaded with salt and sugar.

7. Honey roasted salted nuts which taste so good but whose salt, sugar and fat outweigh any benefits from the nuts.

8. Diet soda is affects the craving center of the brain and increases the appetite.

9.  Dried fruit because the liquid has been extracted from the fruit, leaving condensed sugars .  Our bodies are not equipped to hand this much sugar in one sitting.

10. Cheetos which are made from highly processed corn that has been fried, had sodium added to it and then dusted with a orangish - red powder.

11. No fat yogurt with fruit on the bottom has more sugar in it because when they take out the fat and replace it with sweetener.  Research indicates that if you cut back on sugar, it can result is a 2 pound weight loss in a relatively short time.

The other issue with any of these snacks is simply that most of us never look at the side to see what constitutes a serving.   It could be 5 or 1/4 cup or 12.  I know when I eat chips, I don't think about the serving size and probably eat two or three servings at one sitting.

It turns out that a few of my most favorite snacks are on this list so I am going to have to find myself healthier alternatives.  They are out there but you have to carefully read the list of ingredients before you buy, even if it is labelled as a healthier alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment