Friday, March 11, 2022

The Benefits Of Yoga.

Yoga is my other to go exercise when I need to ease back on my workouts since it doesn't feel like exercise to me.  I do come out sweating and feel warm just as if I'd done a good aerobics workout but it is much gentler.  I am proud of myself.  I managed to do a downward facing dog without falling on my face. Yeah, finally. 

There are some good reasons to practice yoga. First of all, yoga improves strength, balance, and flexibility.  One of the top reasons for taking yoga is to improve flexibility and all forms of yoga contribute to improved flexibility. 

Since many of the poses demand use of core muscles or standing in positions that require you balance, yoga is great for improving balance which is good.  You want to maintain your balance as you age so you won't fall and remain independent in your later years. 

The slow movements of yoga combined with deep breathing, help increase blood flow while warming up the muscles.  In addition, when you hold the pose, you are building muscles. The second reason given for taking yoga is to relieve stress.  Yoga helps relieve stress through physical practice, meditation, and breathing.  Since yoga helps people relax, they often sleep better at night because it prepares your body to sleep at night.

Yoga also  helps relieve back pain because yoga helps stretch to ease pain and improve mobility.  In fact, the American College of Physicians recommends yoga for chronic low back pain.  Yoga can also ease arthritis  symptoms because it helps ease tender swollen joints. Furthermore, there are indications that yoga can help. improve heart health by reducing levels of stress and inflammations in the body.  There is a study out there that found yoga helps reduce inflammations experienced in heart disease, diabetes, and other diseases linked to extended inflammation.  

Another feature of yoga is that it may improve bone density due to the isometric aspects of its practices.  All movements rely on using your body and body weight to get into and out of positions.  Since most positions are held for a certain length of time, your body weight helps bone density which can help you with preventing osteoporosis.

Yoga can also improve mood while making people feel more energetic.  It also supports managing stress, helps mental health, control weight, with better sleep. It also encourages self-care and improves posture.  When performing yoga, you are aware of your body and your posture so you stand straighter.  You are also not slouched over a desk working in front of your computer. 

In other words, yoga provides a good overall workout that can help you in so many ways.  I started doing yoga to help improve my balance but now I'm branching out to make it the primary workout on weekends or when I need a slow day.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment