Thursday, January 14, 2016

Flights of Fancy

 Today was one of those days.  You know the type of day where you have meeting after meeting that you'd rather not be at.  The ones, you'd rather be hiding from but you don't have a choice.

When I survive  a day like that, I go looking for pictures that make me laugh, or lighten my spirits.  Photos that take me away from reality into whimsical fantasy.

I sorted through my pictures and came away with these two of large sculptures that are crazy enough to put a smile on my face.

This wrapped "rock" in the foreground makes me  think of that story by O'Henry called "The Ransom of Red Chief".  I picture some little energetic kid who grabbed ribbons of different colors and wrapped the rock while it was asleep. Perhaps the kid ransomed the rock?

The rock on the left hand side of the picture to the right looks like it could be part of a giants  necklace.  It looks like the jump ring fell off and landed there. Perhaps, it was strung up this way because it used to hang in a museum?

The other one on the right side of the photo resembles a perfect thumb print all over.  If you look carefully, you can see the swirls spreading outward from a center point in blue and black.  The shape resembles an apple without the deep dent at the top.

Perhaps, its a an over sized billiard ball that escaped a giant's table and rolled across the ground till it stopped on the slight pedestal.    Could it be modeled after the  wrapping  paper found on a fancy piece of candy?  Who knows?

I love looking at pieces of art like this and speculating.  I don't read the labels because I fear they will rip my whimsical musings from me.  Yes, I sometimes lay down in the grass and look up at the sky finding bunnies, lambs, steep buildings, and other things as they coalesce  in and out of existence.

After looking at these pictures, I felt so much better.  I feel as though I can face the world without wanting to hide.  In case you are wondering, these sculptures rest in front of the Waikiki Aquarium just on the other side of driveway that circles in front of the building.   


2 comments:

  1. I love the pics and what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just needed to get a way and those pics did it.

      Delete