I've noticed as I've gotten older, I'm seeing new lines, new wrinkles, while I don't feel as if I'm really any older. With the new fine lines, I'm looking for "the product" to help minimize things but with all those ingredients, what do they do. I had to look things up for me, so now I'll share them with you.
1. Glycolic Acid - This is one of the Alpha-hydroxy-acids and is made from sugar cane. This is a common ingredient in face serums, etc. It is a small molecule so it is easily absorbed into the skin.
In addition, this acid exfoliates the skin to get rid of dead skin cells. This property can help acne prone skin by getting rid of dead cells. Furthermore, since it is absorbed into the skin, it loosens built up sebum and and proteins that lead to blackheads and other breakouts. For those of us who are aging, it can help smooth out the skin while evening out the skin tone by helping to get rid of pigments from age spots, etc. Finally, it prepares the skin to accept other products better. It is recommended one invest in a serum with no more than 10 percent glycolic acid with a pH of 3.5
2. Hyaluronic acid - This is produced by your body and is found in your skin, eyes, and joints. It's main job is to retain water in order to keep your tissues hydrated. One gram of Hyaluronic Acid (HA) can hold up to 6 liters of water but the HA is able to regulate the moisture in your skin so it doesn't get over saturated and it leaves your skin looking plump and radiant. This causes wrinkles and lines to appear minimized and it works for all skin types. Furthermore, it appears to have antioxidants so as to protect the skin from free radicals.
3. Vitamin C Serums - this can help smooth out the skin, even out skin tone, perk up your skin, help with acne scars, and help fine lines. Vitamin C is a wonderful antioxidant which helps protect your skin from free radicals while helping your body repair skin cells. Vitamin C helps counter UV and pollution damage. It also helps trigger the production of collegian and and elastin and help cut down on dark spots.
4. Peptides - These are actually an amino acid which helps rejuvenate skin cells while stimulating collegian production. The issue with using a skin care product is that it takes at least a month of constant use before you see results because they are very gradual. There are two types of peptides found in skin products. They are Palmitoyl Oligopeptide and Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide - 7.
Palmitoyl Oligopeptide takes at least four weeks to see results because it works on keeping connective tissues structured so the skin doesn't sag and reduces signs of wrinkles while Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide - 7 reduces inflammation of the skin and helps counter the damage done by free radicals.
5. Retinol - This ingredient has been scientifically proven to have anti-aging properties. It is derived from vitamin A and is said to help clear up acne, even out skin texture and skin tone, while minimizing age spots, and it helps to increase collegian production. Unfortunately, it can cause the skin to flake, become dryer, and promote a sensitivity to the sun. If you use a cream with Retinol during the day, you must use a sunscreen for additional protection. Retinol works by increasing collegian production while increasing skin regeneration rates are are considered the gold standards for anti-aging and acne treatment.
These are 5 of the latest ingredients you will find in face products. Another time, I'll address Dragons blood, green tea, and snail mucus found in face products. Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear. Have a great day.