Wednesday, March 22, 2023

How Many Face Products Do You Really Need To Use Everyday?

 

The other night, I realized I use a lot of face products.  I use one set in the morning and a different set in the evening.  I save those products with vitamin C and retinol for the evening along with a denser moisturizer when it does the most good.  I don't mind it at home but when I travel, especially internationally, I wonder if I can cut down on what I take so I don't have to worry about weight.

The first thing to know is that what you do every day has a large impact on how you look. However, when you read all the articles out there, everyone has a recommendation but do you really need all 10 steps of this or that routine to have great skin?

Maybe not.  A good skin care routine is broken down into three parts.  The first part is cleansing where you wash your face but not necessarily with soap. The second encompasses toning or balancing the skin while the last part focuses on moisturizing the skin where you hydrate and soften the skin.  These three steps are designed to help your skin function at its best and most experts suggest you only need three to four products in your skin care routine, not 10 or 20. 

If you get a product to address a specific skin issue, you need to be prepared to use it for at least 6 weeks to notice a difference because there are no products which produce instant results.  When you do apply products, go from the thinnest to the thickest such as your cleanser, toner, serum, and finally your moisturizer.

When looking for a cleanser, look for a gentle effective one that will remove dirt, oil, sunscreen, and pollution. It doesn't matter if it is a cream or is foaming.  You want to make sure it doesn't strip the skin because it is your first line of defense when it comes to taking care of your skin.  Although many people recommend the double cleansing, a good cleanser will do the same job with just one product.

As far as the moisturizer, it doesn't matter if it is a cream, lotion, or ointment.  You want one that is filled with emollients that will trap moisture in your skin while protecting it from the elements.  If you want to use an oil, make sure your moisturizer has it because if you try to use only oil, it is not as effective as a regular moisturizer.  Don't forget to finish everything off with a good sunscreen which adds another layer of protection.

This is the minimum anyone needs for a good skin care product.  If you want, you can include a good eye cream, a toner, serums, and others but you don't "need" them to have wonderfully looking skin.  For me this important because I can leave half my facial products at home.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment