Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Bar Shampoos


 Since I’ve begun traveling so much more, I have been looking for ways to reduce the items I take with me. I am actually almost to the point I can travel with a backpack and small carryon. It has taken a while but I am getting there. I have a trip planned in October for a week, I will try to go without a check through. 

I have a choice on how I do my hair. I can rely on the bottles the hotel provides for free, buy some when I get to my destination, or I can buy a bar of shampoo and a bar of conditioner. Honestly, I’ve gone with choices one and three because I hate to use a little and then leave it. The best thing about the bar forms is that they are TSA friendly and do not spill.

So today, we will look at packing shampoo and conditioner in bar form. From personal experience, not all versions are the same as I bought a conditioner that didn’t seem to work right. A bar of shampoo is simply shampoo without all the extra liquid. If you get the right one, it leaves your hair really nice. Most bar shampoos do not strip your hair of its natural oils like detergent based shampoos are noted for. 

In addition, bar shampoo is known for restoring your hair back to its nice, beautiful, shiny condition because they do not contain all the normal additives. For some people, the bar shampoo does such a nice job that they do not need conditioner. On the other hand, the shampoo can have a waxy feel that can build up on the hair. One recommendation is to rinse with apple cider vinegar to cut back on the buildup. Another problem with bar shampoo is when you rub it on your hair, it can cause the hair to tangle especially if your hair is curly or wavy.

When shopping for bar shampoo, there are three categories of shampoos. First is the cold-pressed shampoo bars often made by home crafters and artisan people. These are usually made with 

Natural oils that are good for your hair and free of sodium lauryl sulfate which is an ingredient that can cause a buildup. Next is the glycerin based shampoos which tend to be more gentle and pH balanced. These may not lather as well as other types. Finally is the solid surfactant bars. These bars are the ones that lather best, have a nicely balanced pH but can be more clarifying than others. 

The bottom line is to try out different bar shampoos to see which ones work best. I agree with trying out different ones otherwise you might not find the right one. A sales person said if you buy one you don’t like, use it as body soap. One person suggested that the large bars be cut into smaller pieces so they are easier to use. Let me know what you think, I’d love to hear. Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment