Wednesday, August 21, 2019

New Place

Every night, as soon as I've finished work for the day, I head over to my apartment, drop stuff and go out for a 40 minute walk around town.  One night, I grabbed my iPod so I could take pictures of places on my walk to share.  I don't know whose this is and I have no idea what its used for but I thought it looked fun. This photo is of the black, gravely beach looking kind of south west.

The coast line curves in towards the village and then out again towards the south.  We're kind of in an inlet along the coast.  This photo is taken down near a bunch of rocks near the school.

Sometime in the past, people built a playground area just off the beach.  The first day after the water retreated, it had lots of loose logs but people went in to clear it out.  There is also a skateboard ramp that I've never seen used by kids.



This statue sits in someone's yard just after the road curves inland from the ocean.  This road comes out by the old Covenant Church boarding school and school buildings.  

This is a picture of the old Covenant Church Boarding School.  The church is to the right, immediately next to the grocery store.  This building is used by the local school district to store building supplies.  The boarding school opened in 1954 and closed in 1981.  This one was a private boarding school rather than public so 

This last picture is of the slough which runs inland from the Bering straits.  To the right is the ocean and to the left is inland.  You see some beautiful hills that surround the village.  Most people secure their boats along this area but a bit further down to the left.  I took the photo one the road furthest inland and just past the garbage dump.

Since this is a new job in a new location, I thought I would share a few photos of the village so you'd get a chance to see what it looks like.  Thursday night I'll be chaperoning a bunch of students at the local Covenant Bible Camp and Friday we come back.  It should be fun.  I'm hoping to take pictures to share with you of the area further inland.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment