Friday, July 1, 2022

Getting Exercise When Traveling

 It's summer and so many people are traveling right now.  It's great if your hotel offers a place to workout but not every place does.  In fact, many of the places I've stayed at overseas do not have anywhere to workout so I have to get a bit creative in order to stay in shape.  

Even in the United States, I generally end up staying at places that do not offer workout facilities so I have to think about how I'm going to get a daily workout in.  One thing I do is to download videos off of YouTube to my digital device so I have something to follow along with on days I don't want to go anywhere.  I say download because there are still places today that do not offer wifi in every room.  

Another thing I do is pack a resistance band since it can be used for the arms or legs and doesn't take up much room.  I can use the band with a downloaded video or I can find a site with exercises that I can take screen shots to store on my device.  A resistance band help increase your strength and help your stabilizer muscles.  The nice thing about resistance bands is that you can change the length you are using to make it harder or easier as needed.

Another item to pack in your suitcase that doesn't take much room is a jumprope.  A jumprope allows you to get a great aerobic workout in your room or at the park.  It challenges the cardiovascular system within a short time of 10 to 20 minutes.  In addition, it improves coordination, agility, and balance while keeping the bones strong.

Of course, one can take nice long walks around town, exploring, and wandering here and there.  My favorite activity is to walk all over town just going where my feet take me.  Sometimes, I decide to go to a specific location and if it is within 2 to 3 miles one way, I'll walk there and back since its not that far.  If the weather is too hot, I might walk one way and hop a bus back.  If I have a few hour layover in an airport, I have been known to walk from one end to the other end.  The last time I was in Seatac, I walked from the D concourse all the way to the A concourse and discovered they'd extended it so it went down much further.  This could be a result of moving the place international travelers are welcomed.  

On the other hand, if you are a runner, you can hit the roads in the early morning or later in the evening when there are not as many people out.  The last time I was in Waikiki, I'd head out for nice long walks early in the morning and I shared the empty sidewalks with joggers who were out getting their exercise.

If you can, use the stairs, going up and down multiple times in one session as a workout.  I was recently staying in Old Town Dubrovnik and my apartment was three fourth of the way up one street.  I got a great workout just going up to the room to drop things off and down a few times in a row.  The are outside had lots of ups and downs so a two mile walk gave me a great walk.

If you are in your room and you don't want to explore outside, there are some nice exercises you can do in any empty space. One can do push-ups, planks, and triceps dips for your upper body.  For the lower body, one can do lunges, front squats, and leg raises.  You can finish off your day with yoga or tai chi to center yourself while winding down for the evening.

In addition, some places have bikes for rent so you spend a few dollars and can ride for a full hour all over the place.  Furthermore, most places have nice hiking trails located within reasonable distances of most towns or you could sign up for a tour that includes hiking, kayaking, biking, or other physical activity. I took a wonderful tour which had me walking up some nice hills when I headed off to see a new volcano in Iceland. 

If your hotel has a swimming pool, you can swim laps as soon as it opens or near closing.  I would recommend avoiding it during the middle of the day because it is easier to sunburn and it is best to avoid that.  However, if you prefer to workout at a gym, you should be able to find one fairly close to where you are staying.  Just ask at the front desk.

So it is easy to continue your workouts while you travel, especially if you plan things ahead of time.  I try my best to stay in shape while I travel and these are some of the things I do.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment