Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Pedestrian Mall

 Yesterday, in the morning, after enjoying a lovely breakfast at my hotel, I headed off to do a bit of exploration of the area.  I got directions to the Central Market because I'm on an official tour of the place but I needed to know where I was going ahead of time.  I'll write about that tomorrow.

From my hotel, I went to the next street that turned into a pedestrian mall extending several blocks.  It was lovely not having to watch for cars.  The streets running through the area are quite narrow so you end up crossing when you can, usually through a row of stalled cars waiting to move.

There are all sorts of stores from make-up to bakery, to bedding, each one small and nice.  People stroll down the shops, popping into the ones they are interested in and just enjoying the others.

Money is mostly in 1,000, 2,000, or 5,000 prices.  Sometimes, you find things less that that but usually in those denomination.  I purchased a cup with Costa Rica on it and two beautiful sloths for 3,000 or about $6 US.

I also purchased two apples and one beautiful mango for under 1,000 in Costa Rican money.  I'll put pictures up of those tomorrow.

 The pedestrian mall has bits of art on it.  At the beginning there was a huge statue of a woman.  As you can see there is like a fox or cat just in front of the pink shop.

If you notice, there are places above the stores for either housing or offices.  My hotel has rooms and its restaurant on the second floor where I am.  The only thing on the first floor is the front desk, elevator, and stairs.

During my walk I saw two make-up stores, several shoe or clothing stores.  There are even electronic stores.
There was a small local band playing Spanish music in front of the Central Market when I came out.  The music was nice and I enjoyed it.

On my walk, I saw a butcher shop at the corner next to a restaurant.  As a matter of fact, there are restaurants sprinkled throughout the walk including a couple of places labeled as McDonalds.  I took a picture of the smaller one but in the next block on the other side of the street, there was a larger one.  It looked like there was a place to get ice cream things in front and in the back you get the burgers and such.
I didn't see much takeout otherwise but as stated earlier, I saw tons of small places where you get get nice food for no more than 3,000 or about $6 in American.

I am finding the lack of Spanish to be a bit of an issue.  I took it many years ago but since I moved to Alaska I have not had a chance to use it and it has all gone away.  I still understand more than I speak and I am able to communicate enough with signs and pointing to get what I want.

I also noticed in a couple fruit and veggie stands you are more likely to find Plantains than Bananas.  I love Plantains but you usually cook them.

Tomorrow I'll be sharing photos from the food tour I took that started at the Central Market.  This is one of the places that is almost a block and is a cluster of small stalls and eating places.

In the mean time, the day after, I'll have photos of museums, etc of important buildings in the town.  I know when I come, I'll visit the other side where the smaller more real places are.  This is a big city and ok but not as good as the other parts of the country or that's what I'm told by all who I've met from here.

Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment