Friday, June 25, 2021

Bar Shampoo and Conditioner

 

The other day, I discovered a new store.  It advertised sustainability and claimed to carry many things to make like more ecologically safe.  I had to check it out because I'm always on the lookout to make my travels so much easier.  I discovered shampoo and conditioner in bar form.  

I've never heard of either of these in bar form.  Shampoo bars are actually a solid form of shampoo made up of raw or plant based ingredients.  These usually do not have sulfates that liquid shampoo can have.  They are considered gentler on the hair and can be extremely hydrating. 

Furthermore, these can cut down your carbon footprint due to requiring less packaging. They also make traveling easier because they are a solid, not a liquid and they can last up to 80 washes.  To use, you wet your hair first.  Then with wet hands, rub the bar between your hands to work up a lather before massaging the lather into your hair and scalp. When done, rinse it out.

Many bar shampoos resemble bar soap but are often made with more oils but are free of SLS, chemicals, fragrance, detergents or preservatives. It is best to find a brand that does not use palm oil or a palm derivative since the way they produce palm oil is not ecologically sustainable. If made properly, bar shampoo is good for your hair and it removes residue from your hair.

When your hair is clean, rub the solid bar conditioner into your wet hair or  rub the bar conditioner between your hands to create a creamy paste to apply to your hair before rubbing it in and then rinsing it out. One mistake people make is not to use enough conditioner.  It is recommended the conditioner is applied from roots to ends. Most conditioner bars last for between 40 and 80 uses and can replace two to three bottles of conditioners.

I was out with a friend and we both bought one shampoo bar and one conditioner bar.  I got them for my next trip so I don't have to take bottles of shampoo and conditioners with me but she got them because she was out at home.  She used her and said she really loved the way this product left her hair.  I like the fact, they are a lot lighter and so easy to pack. 

For some people, shampoo bars and conditioner bars are great but for others, the conditioners tend not to work as well on hair that tends to tangle.  It is best to try them to see how they work for you.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.

Apologies for this being a bit shorter but I've been helping to plan my mothers funeral which will be Sunday. I'm hoping to get back to normal by Wednesday of next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment