Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Dancing through life.

Ballet, Ballerina, PerformanceWhat do you picture when someone talks about dancing? 


Do you see someone like this?
Someone who dances on toes to a piece of classical music? For a long time, I thought I wanted to dance like that.  I wanted to be a ballerina.  Kind of hard when you are too tall, not skinny enough and you start too late.

Hawaiian Hula Dancers, Aloha StadiumThen there was the time, I wanted to be a hula dancer.  I wanted to be a hula dancer because it was the dance everyone did where I lived.  I started taking lessons but then I moved to an area with ballet but no hula.

Dance, Argentine Tango, Couple


If you mention dance to my father, he'll tell you it's doing the jitterbug, swing ballroom or maybe even the tango.   According to my father, dancing is something you do at wedding receptions, parties or just for a night out.  That is nice but you need a partner and a place to go to do it.  If you don't have either available.  You are sooooo out of luck.




Girl, Dancer, Belly Dance, Turk, RedAbout 15 years ago, I stumbled across middle eastern aka belly dancing.  Actually, a dear friend of mine saw a newspaper article where a local dancer was interviewed about the increase in women wanting to take belly dancing lessons.

She wanted to take lessons so she called the lady.  Turns out all the classes were full but if she could get eight people together, the lady would add another class.

Next thing you know, I'm being dragged along as one of the eight people.  Turns out it was a lot of fun.  Well only after we got my friend a bracelet with bells she could wear on her wrist.  I am directionally challenged but she was even more so and kept turning the wrong way.  It wouldn't have been bad but when you get hit with a closed fist, it isn't so nice.....LOL.  The bells on the right wrist took care of the problem.

I am still doing it after 15 years.  I've kept it up while living in the middle of nowhere thanks to the internet, DVD's, Streaming videos and my mobile device with a couple of lessons and music.
I can now practice any time, any where.    I don't need a partner, I don't need a studio.  All I need is a flat area, my music and me......LOL.


No comments:

Post a Comment