Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Reindeer pt 2.

 Remember when I told you that reindeer are not that big?  The other day I stopped by the university and took these two pictures of reindeer in their cages.  I am about  5 ft 6 and I held the camera level to my eyes.

I did crop the photos so you could get a better view of the reindeer.  They have horns growing and off on the right side is a baby who was probably born within the past two months.
The first time I remember hearing about reindeer was when my father read us "Twas the night before Christmas."  Then I saw that special on the tele about Rudolph.  Because of those two things, I honestly thought reindeer were much bigger and intimidating if they could pull Santa and the sled filled with all those toys.

I knew there was magic involved because the only creatures that could fly without magic were either certain types of dinosaurs or birds.  It wasn't until my first Christmas in Alaska that I got to see my first reindeer in person and I was shocked.  They were just a bit taller than waist high and it was rather disappointing.

Ohhh well, they have a reputation that makes them bigger than life and even today I love watching Rudolph the red nosed reindeer when it is shown on tele and I still enjoy reading "Twas the night before Christmas".  I can still suspend my disbelief to be a kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment