Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Odd Thanksgiving Foods

Berries, Close-Up, Cranberries, Food  In the past, ad agencies and companies created Thanksgiving related ads which now adays we'd either say gross or we'd laugh hysterically at them.  I'm not going to spend much time on ads showing beautifully cooked turkeys with packs of cigarettes shown in front. 

However, others are quite interesting.  There is an add for vegetable loaf with mashed potatoes, apple rings, and turkeys cut out of slices of cranberry jelly.  I am a vegetarian but the whole thing is not that appealing to me. 

Then there is a wonderful add suggesting people serve hot Dr. Pepper cocktails with the meal.  The idea is to heat the soda up and serve it with lemon to add a bit of flavor.  I'm not much on soda to begin with but this is something an aunt of mine might have served children so they'd feel like adults.

Back in World War II, Hormel suggested people use Spam to create their Thanksgiving meal because it eliminated the waste of skin and bones, making your points go further.  They said just take slices of Spam, wrap around a bit of stuffing secured by a toothpick, then bake till done.

One of my favorites is the mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, and jello candles which actually burn but I'm not sure how long.  The idea is you make a mix of the mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, and jello and divide the mixture among 6 juice cans.  Let them set until solid, slide out, put birthday candles inside.  Put the "candle" onto a plate surrounded by holly leaves, light, and enjoy both through the light and eating it.

I found a recipe for a frozen jelled turkey vegetable salad which is peas and carrots in a gelatin - condensed celery soup - salad dressing mixture with chunks of turkey stirred in.  Its mixed, frozen, and then placed in the fridge at the end to thaw for dinner.  It does not appeal to me.

What about Tempting Turkey with turkey, swiss flavored cheez whiz mixed together and heated gently, then served over broccoli on top of toast.  I've never been fond of Cheez Whiz.  Ohhh my, there is the turkey cake with layers of turkey between a "mashed potato icing", topped with yam frosting and golden marshmallows.

Want to make your pizza so its more in the Thanksgiving spirit?  Top it with gravy and voila, you are ready.  On the other hand, you can use powerade to baste your turkey and turn it into a beautifully colored creation.

You can find recipes for all of these unique Thanksgiving dinner  dishes on the internet.  None of these appeal to me but a few would interest my grandmother or aunt because both of them were into this type of crazy food.

Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear.



No comments:

Post a Comment