Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Travel Around Christmas.

Airport, Transport, Woman, Girl, Tourist  Living in Alaska can present some interesting issues when trying to travel out of state at Thanksgiving or Christmas time. This year has been horrendous weather wise for travel from the village due to fog, snow, wind, and a few other things.

So this year, I ended up putting a three day layover in Anchorage before I leave the state because if I don't leave the village on time, I could miss my connecting flight out of the local hub.  There are only three flights a day to Anchorage.  If I miss that, I could miss my connecting flight out of state and that is the biggie because it can be difficult to rebook on the next flight. 

Most people do not have those issues.  If they have connectivity issues, its usually because a big storm has shut down the whole eastern seaport or the middle states around Chicago.  Other than those issues, have you wondered what days are the best or worst for traveling around Christmas?  I began wondering just the other day.

The definition for best and worst days in air travel have to do with cost and number of people who are predicted to fly on those days.  The worst days usually cost more and have more people scheduled while best means the cost is less with fewer people traveling.

The worst days to travel at Christmas time this year are Friday December 22, Saturday December 23, and Sunday December 24th.  I'm scheduled to travel the 23rd because I had a couple upgrades and that was the day where I found some first class available without going through Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan.   It also gives me a few days incase I cannot get out of the village due to weather.

For New Years, try to avoid December 29th and January 2nd since Christmas and New Year's are both on a Monday.  By taking a few vacation days, people end up with a full 10 day holiday. 

Its often hard to determine which dates have the best fares and which the worst because the prices are set according to a complex formula which takes into account competition, demand, seasonality, etc so the prices often change from day to day.  Often though the flights on Christmas and New Years are cheaper.  I've traveled on New Years day and it was wonderful as far as not being as crazy as usual.

Its recommended you get your tickets several months out because that is when you are most likely to get the best fares as the fares tend to rise the closer you get to the major holiday.  The best time to buy tickets for a Christmas trip is the beginning of October when most prices are at their lowest.  It is also suggested that if you find a good deal, buy it as soon as you see it because it may be gone the next time you look.

If you have some flexibility in your travel plans, check a few days before you want to leave, and a few days after you want to return to see if there are any lower fares.  I've noticed even during the summer, one or two days either side of my preferred dates can save me between $50 and $100 each way. 

Although it is November, it is still possible to get a good deal by watching fairs and checking different airlines.  If you are going to Hawaii or Florida, check out package deals that include hotel and airfare as they can provide a great deal.

Let me know what you think.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment