Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Keeping Hair Hydrated!

I always struggle with keeping my hair properly hydrated so it remains in good shape and does not frizz.  I notice how easy it is for my hair to frizz and I'm sure there are others out there who have the same type of problem.  I also do not have the time to wash it every day or two but too much washing can also cause problems.  So back to the question at hand.  How do you keep your hair hydrated?

Fortunately, there are things we can do to keep our hair hydrated between washes.  One thing to do is to apply coconut oil, olive oil, or even coconut milk to your hair approximately 30 minutes prior to washing so when you shampoo, you won't strip all the oils from your hair.  Look at using a shampoo designed to hydrate your hair so it doesn't strip out the oils out.

When you are ready for the conditioner look at placing a lot of it on your hair.  I know they say use only enough to cover it but if you use more it allows your hair to absorb more.  Don't be afraid to gently run your fingers through your hair or use a detangling comb at this point to separate strands.  In addition, consider using a deep conditioner filled with avocado, olive,  almond oils or shea butter regularly as these oils help shield the hair an keep it hydrate.  One other product to check out is a leave in conditioners because they protect your hair by coating it so your hair is not exposed directly to environmental factors. 

If you use hot styling tools to give your hair just the right look, make sure you use some sort of create or spray to protect your hair but in the summer, you might want to consider switching to air drying and letting your hair rest because the heat of the summer is already sapping moisture from your hair.  Speaking of summer you should cover your hair when you go outside, because no one has created a sunscreen to protect your hair so it is best to cover it with a hat, scarf, or turban to protect it.  This is also a great idea for the winter since the cold and wind can damage hair.  One last thing on this, one should also wear a swimming cap when swimming in a pool to protect hair from chlorine and other chemicals.  

Then there are other things to do to keep hair hydrated in-between shampoos.  Look at either spraying water on your hair or look at a hair mist that is formulated to be sprayed onto your hair.  Be sure to massage the moisture into our hair and down to the roots.  I use one and find my hair feels nice again without having to wash my hair again.  In addition, I've been known to coat my hair with a light layer of coconut oil and found it can leave my hair feeling like new.  

As mentioned in another article, try using a t-shirt to dry your hair rather than a regular towel because the T-shirt does less damage to your hair.  At night, try using a satin pillow case or a satin scarf because cotton pillow cases will absorb moisture from your hair when you sleep. The cotton pillowcase will also cause friction with your hair leading to damage, so think about protecting it.

 The final step is to drink lots of water every day to help the texture of your hair.  So it is as important to have a good routine with your hair as with your face.  I'll be honest, it's only been in the past few years that I've learned to take proper care of my hair so it didn't frizz and break all the time.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment