Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Oil cleansing

 

My mother was of the “wash your face with soap and water” school because she grew up with that.  Once I became a teenager, I started using Noxema because of seeing other girls on television using it and as an adult, I kept using it.  One day, I actually stopped and looked at things and began using proper facial cleansers but I’ve seen some recommend using oil based cleaners and others suggest staying with a very mild mildly foamy one.  


I use both together but have wondered why an oil based cleaner because it seems counterintuitive.  In reality, cleaning with oil does have some great benefits for the face.  Oil cleaning means you apply an oil to your face to lift the extra oil produced by the face while making sure clogged pores are cleaned, and removing dead skin, make-up, and dirt from your skin.  It is great because it can be used on any type of skin. 


It works by melting away any bonds holding dirt, dead skin cells, or debris while taking away bacteria and excess oil.  Oil cleansers work on removing the longest lasting makeup and the heaviest duty sunscreen equally well.  They replenish moisture levels and can help lock in hydration and make the skin look and feel nice.  


Furthermore, it does not irritate or dry the skin.  It is easy to purchase a premade mix from online or brick storefronts but it is just as easy to mix olive oil and caster oil together in a 1 to 1 ratio.  Olive oil has been found to be rich in vitamins and antioxidants while caster oil is considered antibacterial and works as an astringent.Other oils suggested for use in an oil cleanser are jojoba oil, avocado oil, sweet almond, grape seed, almond kernel oil, argon or sunflower oil.  


Once you have your oil cleanser you need to use it properly.  First,  you place one to two teaspoons of oil into your hand.  Then apply the oil to a dry face and massage it into your skin to loosen makeup, dirt, and dead skin.  Finish by wiping your face with a damp warm washcloth without scrubbing.  Once done, you may either apply a moisturizer or follow it with a second cleaning using a mild cleanser and then the moisturizer.


It is suggested you use the oil cleanser no more than once a day and it should be used at night for best results.  If you want to use the oil cleanser as a special treat, that is fine but keep an eye on your face when using it.  Some people will have an allergic reaction, in which case it is easy to stop using it.  


I love using an oil cleanser because it leaves my skin feeling great and I believe my skin looks better than when I didn’t use it.  If you aren’t sure, give it a try.  Let me know what you think, I’d love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment