Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Alternatives To Working Out

What if you are one of those people who know you need to exercise regularly but don’t want to do the standard ones found at a gym or studio?  Are you one of those people who head the other direction when someone mentions a 45 minute aerobics class, weight lifting, or even Pilates?  Fortunately, there are things you can do to incorporate exercise into your daily routine.

1. Head over to the local park to play on the equipment.  Between the slides, the monkey bars, and the swings, you could have a great 30 minutes having fun and managing a great work-out.  Some places have trails with stops to do certain exercises so when you are done you’ve completed a circuit but I’d rather enjoy the play equipment.  

2. Pop on a video or throw on a game such as Wii bowling and spend a nice 30 minutes enjoying your time.  I tried Wii bowling one time and was surprised I managed a good workout. I’m told they offer many different sports.

3. Take your pet out for a walk or offer to walk a neighbor's dog. I don’t own a pet but I’ve seen friends who take their dog out walking, or running while they ride their bicycle or even roller skate.  They say it is a great workout.

4. Pull out a rope and start jumping or offer to jump with a child or family member.  Jumping rope is a great exercise and it is quite aerobic.  It can be done either inside or out and if you have to move the equipment, it is easy.

5. One thing I loved to do as a child was bowl because I could do it with my grandparents.  Bowling is great for strengthening and toning your muscles,   In a really good game, you can use up to 300 calories. According to research, the average bowler walks over a half mile during a three game set.

6.  Head out to a nice evening dance and enjoy yourself dancing but if you don’t like doing it in public, clear out a large space, put on the music and dance.  If you have a lot of great moving music, you can work up a great sweat, burn calories, and engage your whole body.  

7. Most cities have walking tours you could sign up for.  A walking tour might take you through some of the places reputed to have ghosts, or maybe a foodie tour, or one that allows you to check out various parks.  In downtown Anchorage, I did  part of the solar system walk which started you off in the sun and you could walk to mercury, venus, the earth, mars, etc.  Another time, I visited Pikes Peak Market in Seattle and explored that thing from top to bottom and edge to edge.  I got quite a workout that time.

8. Have you ever thought about playing a sport? It is easy to get a workout when you are involved in a sport.  I love Volleyball but haven’t been involved recently due to Covid but I do remember how great I felt at the end of the night.  If you are into sports and enjoy playing one, you are more likely to continue participating

These are just a few ways to make exercise more fun while fitting it in so it becomes a habit.  I love taking walks by the ocean, or participating in volleyball, or even exploring shopping malls from top to bottom, end to end. Let me know what you think, I’d love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment