Monday, April 19, 2021

Hair cuts? - How often?

 I have gotten frustrated during the pandemic.  Usually, I get my hair trimmed three times a year.  I do it at the beginning of summer, end of summer, and at Christmas when I am back in town.  This year, due to COVID, I haven’t gotten my hair trimmed since July and I’m noticing it.  I’ve read that one should get their hair trimmed once every six weeks but does it need to be that often? Today, I’m looking into the topic of trimming your hair regularly.


Yes, every six weeks is nice but the time between trims depends on several different factors.  One needs to consider if they are able to achieve the style as easily as before or is it much, much, harder?  Another factor is to check the ends of your hair to see if they are frayed, split, or damaged?  If either of these is a yes, it is time to get your hair taken care of.  It is recommended that people begin checking their hair after a month to see if it needs trimming.


On the other hand, it depends on the length of your hair and the style you have.  For instance, if you have a short hair cut, bangs, or a short, bob, you might need to go in every three to six weeks to have it neatened up and refreshed.  If your hair is really short and layered, it might be every three weeks but if it a longer bob, it might be every six weeks.


If your hair is a longer length, say just past the shoulders, you should be able to get away with getting it done three to four times a year as long as it is healthy.  The trim is to get rid of split ends, and adding shape so it looks styled and proper.  If it is super long, it is important to get it done a minimum of three to four times a year to keep it looking good. You might need to go in more frequently if the ends are thinning out due to breakage, or chemical treatment, or split ends.


In addition, your type of hair plays into the calculations.  If you have curly or wavy hair, you can usually go once every 6 to 12 weeks but if you have tight curls, you can look at going in once every three months but again, it depends on the shape of your hair.  Is it healthy?  Does it have split ends?


Furthermore, if you chemically treat your hair on a regular basis such as go from a dark color to blonde, straighten it, or heat treat it, you might need to go in more often.  If your hair is damaged, one needs to go in more frequently to help the hair.  


It is a common belief that cutting your hair frequently will cause it to grow faster.  It really doesn’t change the actual rate but it does make the ends better so it looks as if it is growing faster.  Overall, it is best if you do not go more than 6 months without visiting the stylist.  I am glad to know I’m fine going every few months and I know my hair desperately needs a trim.  I will get it done at the end of May when I head back into town. Let me know what you think, I’d love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment