Friday, April 2, 2021

The Method Haircut

 

I tend to watch shows and series on Amazon Prime that deal with fashion, hair, and make-up just to learn more, see trends, and just because some of them are quite interesting.  I watched a short 6 episode series on people doing things to their hair from braids to bleaching to shaving it. In one episode, the young lady decided to go after something called a method haircut.  


A method haircut is also known as the invisible haircut. I’d never heard the term before, so I continued watching the show to learn more about it.  In the normal haircut, the hair is pretty much straight across so it’s all about the same length.  In this method, they work with the movement of the hair by cutting it at an angle.  They say they do not cut hair into a hair style, they discover the style your hair wants to be in.


In addition, they do not wet the hair before cutting, they work with it dry so they can see the way the hair flows.  They also want to know a bit about a person’s personality to help them discover the hair cut.  


The reason they cut at an angle is to remove any extra volume, adding proportions without having to use a traditional layering technique.  It also creates a more natural look without heaviness thus working with the hair rather than against it.  In order to cut the hair this way, the creator of the method cut designed a patented type of scissors which only remove 18% instead of the normal 30%.  This allows the hair stylist to create the look.


As I watched the Amazon video, I saw a young lady who arrived at the salon with hair she described as having a mind of it’s own.  The bottom was kind of fluffy with a bit of a frayed look over all. The hairstylist kept in mind the way her hair curled and moved as he snipped diagonally.  He didn’t force the hair into a preconceived style. I don’t know how long the whole appointment took because the show was no more than 20 minutes long.


When it was over, the girl’s hair looked so much better.  It had a much sleeker feel to it so it hung beautifully.  One could see the wave in the hair but it wasn’t wild, it was tamed.  I loved the look because her hair looked proper instead of out of control.  


I can see the appeal of having this type of cut done as it doesn’t require you to arrive with something in hand to show the hairstylist what you want.  Instead, it relies on the character of your hair and the way it hangs to shape it into revealing it’s true self.


I know I won't get anything like that living in the state of Alaska but if I go somewhere that has a bigger selection of hairstylists like Los Angeles or Seattle, I might look for a salon that does this.  I’d love to have hair that is more under control, looks good, and doesn’t look like Fright Night.  


Let me know what you think, I’d love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment