Monday, August 23, 2021

Do It Yourself Hair Coloring

I stumbled across a couple of channels on YouTube that are run by professional hair dressers.  They react to videos where the person's attempt at dyeing hair - Fails.  I think all the ones I've seen involve someone trying to go from a darker color to a very blond shade or already have some dyed and some natural.  Most of the professionals tell us not to do it ourselves but to have a professional hairstylist do it. 

I admit I have been dyeing my hair for many years and I've been doing it myself.  I started getting gray hairs when I was quite young and I didn't want to "look" older than I was so I started doing it myself with a box of dye off the shelf.  If you are cringing, please don't.  I've spent the past few years living in a place that was at least two hours by air away from any professional hair stylist so if I'd wanted to have it done professionally, I'd have had to plan a whole weekend away with a minimum cost of around $1000 for air fare, hotel room, cost of services, transportation, and other such expenses.

I've never had a problem since I'm only dyeing the roots to match my natural hair color. In addition I use either a semi-permanent color or a permanent without ammonia and I only do the roots every 4 to 6 weeks.  I don't lighten it with bleach.  I don't try to do anything fancy, just keep the color the same.  I also do not use any heat on my hair and I don't perm it.  I do go in for trims about 3 to 4 times a year and I've been told that my hair is quite healthy.

I know that since the pandemic began, more people have either let their hair return to it's natural color or they have resorted to off the shelf box dyes.  It is recommended that you do not try to bleach your hair to make it lighter at home because it can be very hard and if done incorrectly, you can damage your hair to the point it breaks off.  Furthermore, if you are going from a darker shade to a blonde, it will take at least two bleaching sessions to get it light enough.  

So if you want to dye your hair at home, look for a shade that is only one to two shade lighter or darker but no more. If your hair is shoulder length or longer, you should buy two boxes if you want to dye all your hair, otherwise one box is enough to do all your roots.  It is suggested that you don't try to mix colors to create a custom color.  Instead, choose one shade and stick with it as the results will be better.

Always, always, always perform a strand test, even if you've used the same dye for years.  You don't want to suddenly discover that your hair has become orange or purple.  When you are dyeing your hair, wear clothing that can be easily removed such as a button up shirt, a sarong, or something similar so you don't get dye all over when you pull off a shirt.

It is also recommended you cover the floor, sinks, and everything else with plastic garbage bags so you don't stain your surroundings with dye that splattered off.  In addition, take time to get color on your forehead.  You can create a barrier with petroleum jelly or a solid lip balm.  The lip balm is easier because you can just hold the tube and drag it along the hairline to create the barrier.

When it's time to start dyeing your hair, make sure to read all the instructions completely and read them several times through even if you've done it before.  If you are using a different brand of dye or a different color you want to make sure you do it correctly and each brand has it's own way of doing things.  In addition, make sure you have all your tools laid out ready to go so you don't have stop in the middle of the process.  

Begin applying the dye on dry hair otherwise if used on wet hair, the dye may not be absorbed properly or it might end up being diluted so that you don't end up with the expected results.  Furthermore, it is recommended you apply the dye with a brush so it is less messy and the results look more professional.  You have more control when using a brush because you place it exactly where you want the color. 

In addition, make a habit of sectioning your hair just like the professionals to make sure all the hair is being covered.  Now if you are touching up the roots, you only need to do the roots.  Do not apply it to all your hair every time, especially if you are making them blond to match the rest of your hair.  

Purchase some extra gloves because you need the gloves to dye your hair and when you wash the dye out of your hair.  Furthermore, purchase some disposable shower caps to put over your head once you've applied the dye.  The shower cap helps keep the dye from dripping all over you while you wait and wipe off the dye on your face and hands so they don't get stained.  

To keep the job looking nice, do not wash your hair every day.  Instead wash it a couple times a week and use a shampoo and conditioner designed for color treated hair to help the color last longer.  When you go out, wear a hat to keep the sun from fading the color and look for a color gloss to apply once a week to help color last longer.  

Do not be afraid to use hair coloring if you are going to stay at the same color but if you want to do something more drastic, go to a professional otherwise you might have to pay a lot more to correct the issue or you might loose a bunch of your hair.  You don't want to damage it more than it already is. Let me know what you think, I"d love to hear.  Have a great day.

I will be trying to keep up with my entries over the next two weeks but the entries may be of my trip.  I'm heading off for a trip to Sweden and Iceland for a couple weeks and I"ll be sharing but haven't decided what yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment