Monday, August 9, 2021

Ways To Relax

We've all had those days, weeks, or months.  The ones where you feel as if you are so stressed out, you'll never feel normal again.  The ones where no matter what you do, something is stressing you out.  I felt that way, all of last year due to all the frequent change of rules due to Covid.  I spent so much time trying to destress, keep my sanity, and not mess up my health.

We all know that one way to relieve stress is exercise and that was my main choice. I'd do anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours depending on what I chose to do.  When the weather was nice, I'd take 2 to 3 hour walks down the beach, up the road, out the boardwalk and beyond.  Anywhere, away from people.The other choice was popping on a DVD and following a routine for 20 to 45 minutes and the choice would change every day depending on the time available, and how I felt.

But that is not the only way.  Somedays, you don't feel like working out.  In all honesty, you've dragged yourself home and the couch looks so nice.  Go ahead and drop your stuff before sit-in on the sofa.  Get comfortable.  Then take deep slow breaths.  Inhale slowly, pause for a bit, before exhaling.  Repeat a few times.  Just breathing can help you relax while clearing your mind of the clutter that occurred during the day.

When you relax, it is important to relax both your mind and body.  When you relax, your mind clears and your muscles become less tense.  That is the ultimate goal when you relax.  You don't feel like breathing, run a nice hot bath in the tub, throw in some bath salts or bubbles, flick some soothing background music, slide in and enjoy.  If you'd prefer, throw on some guided meditation or guided imagery where you picture yourself somewhere else.  

Most app stores have apps that will guide you through breathing routines, talk you through meditation, or provide guided imagery exercises.  I've got a few apps on my iPad I use because I have trouble focusing without them.  For the breathing routines, I can set the time between 30 seconds and 5 minutes depending on what I need.  

Think about doing yoga. I realize that your local yoga place might be closed or have restrictions so you can't go.  Fortunately, you can purchase yoga DVD's to help you with this.  There are ones that are designed specifically for relaxation and stress management.  I got several DVD's that are at my level and help me relax after a stressful day.

If there are any places around that provide massages, sign up for one.  A massage is a great way to help you release stress and relax.  If you don't have access to massages, try relaxing one group of muscles at a time from head to toe. This is a good technique to use if you have trouble sleeping.  

Finally, for some people, being able to write in a diary is great. The writing allows them to express their frustrations and release the built up stress but no matter what method you choose, make sure to practice stress relief and relaxation for your well being.  Let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment