Its almost Easter, a time when many cultures celebrate with special breads. When I lived in Australia, we always bought hot cross buns from the local store because that was their bread.
I think hot cross buns are the best known bread. It is one I've always heard associated with Easter, even before I lived in Australia. If you've never had them, they are good.
1.Hot Cross Buns are spiced buns filled with raisins or currants. There is a cross on top filled with icings.
2. Armenian Choereg is a braided loaf flavored with a spice derived from sour cherry seeds and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
3. Bulgarian Kozunak is an egg rich bread with raisins, nuts, and lemon zest. Sometimes its braided or shaped into a loaf or studded with eggs.
4. Croatian Pinca is a lovely sweet bread flavored with citrus zest.
5. Dutch Paasbrood is another sweet bread filled with a sweetened almond paste, raisins, and candied citrus.
6. Greek Tsouriki is a sweet braided bread flavored with the spice from sour cherry seeds, anise and citrus peels. Each loaf contains one red colored egg which represents Christs blood.
7. Ukranian Babka is a sweet bread filled with raisins and baked in a coffee tin.
8. Spanish Hornazo is slightly different from most other Easter Breads in that it is a savory bread stuffed with eggs and sausage.
9. Russian Kulich is a cylindrical sweet bread flavored with saffron, cardamon raisins, candied citrus, and nuts, covered in icing and served with a special cheese.
10. Italian Pene di Pasqua is a a braided bread with an egg in the center.
There are other breads eaten on Easter but these made me drool all over my keyboard. If any look good, check them out. Have a good weekend.